Travel provides us with a unique opportunity to experience different cultures and taste amazing new cuisines. However, travel has different meanings for different people. Whether travelling on business or at leisure, you want to have an enjoyable and safe trip.
Unfortunately, many things can hamper the trip. For example, loss of luggage, minor accidents, or medical emergencies can leave you alone in an unfamiliar city. That’s why it’s important to get overseas travel insurance from reputed insurers like Tata AIG since medical care outside your home country can be very expensive. Without travel insurance for Canada, your trip can be a very expensive experience if you face an unprecedented situation.
A travel insurance policy only covers you until you are on vacation. So, if you feel like extending your trip, you can be out there without a coverage guarantee. So, how to get travel medical insurance for extended trips? Let us find out.
Why Do You Need to Extend a Policy?
When you are travelling abroad, you might need to extend your travel policy due to two main reasons:
- Planned extension: This is when you reschedule your return date based on some predetermined plans.
- Emergency extension: This is when you have to reschedule your return date due to an emergency.
Some travel insurance may not cover you as they limit the duration of your trip. This is why it is important to include the date of travel when purchasing insurance. If you decide to extend your trip or travel somewhere else, don’t assume that it will be covered in your standard travel policy.
What Documents Do You Require for Extending Your Travel Medical Insurance Policy?
To extend your travel policy, you must first have valid travel health insurance in place before travel. If you arrive at your destination without insurance, you cannot receive it abroad. In addition, for urgent medical conditions you may experience, you may need to provide the insurance company with a medical certificate as valid evidence for insurance extension.
Travel Medical Insurance Extension Process
Follow these steps to extend your travel medical insurance plan:
- First, contact your insurance company by filing an online request explaining your circumstances and reasons or calling for an extension.
- Provide all the information about your ongoing medical policy and your medical condition (if any).
- After that, you need to pay an additional premium for the period you want to extend.
- Make online payments using your credit/debit card or through online banking.
- After receiving the premium, the insurance company will send you an email confirming the extension of the policy.
Benefits of Travel Insurance
It is wise to purchase a comprehensive travel medical insurance plan to avoid the potential risks of purchasing a regular travel insurance plan. These insurances offer numerous benefits to policyholders, including repatriation assistance, emergency evacuation, loss of baggage insurance, medical accident insurance, health insurance, casualty life insurance, natural disaster insurance, limited travel cancellation, and more. Other benefits are:
- Knowing that you have accident coverage can help you worry less when on vacation. Also, knowing that you are insured against major potential risks can help you travel safely and enjoy your holiday trip to the fullest.
- If you lose your wallet or valuables due to theft abroad, you can get immediate help from your insurance company.
- If you are in a difficult situation and need local resources or an interpreter, your plan can help. For example, if you don’t know which hospital to go to or don’t know the local language enough to talk about problems. In this case, your travel medical insurance provider can offer emergency services when it comes to assisting you with these conversations. In addition, you can get help from your insurance company with just one phone call.
- In an emergency evacuation or political unrest, you will be protected. Most travel insurance offers international assistance and medical or emergency evacuation arrangements for travellers.
Most travel insurance covers you during the duration of your trip. So if you plan to extend a trip to Canada that you’re already on, contact your travel insurance company to upgrade or extend your insurance. The travel insurance extension terms and conditions might differ from insurer to insurer. Moreover, the period of extension also varies. Therefore, you should check and compare travel insurance online before buying it. If you need to extend your travel insurance, you can contact the insurer and submit an extension request.